RickiW

The Book-Addled Brain

Hello!  Welcome to my little corner of the universe.  Join me as I make my way through my infinite reading list one page at a time.

A Clash of Kings
Les Miserables
Victor Hugo
Progress: 718/1463 pages

Ricki's quotes

"Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't."— Bill Nye

Here I Am, Stuck in the Middle

Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

I used to turn my nose up at the thought of reading an abridged version of any book.  Why on earth would you want to shorten an author's work and perhaps cut out important parts of the story?

Judge not, lest ye find yourself stuck 700 pages into a beast like Les Miserables with no end in sight.  Oh Les Miserables, how you mock me, sitting there on my nightstand with my favorite bookmark trapped on page 718.  Victor Hugo never met a word he didn't like.  I started reading Les Miserables in January and steamrolled through the first 640 pages by the end of the month, and then I got stuck in the midst of Marius and the June Rebellion and set it aside for a little while.  Pretty soon I got distracted by other pretty, shiny things at the library and haven't really put much effort into it since.  The story of Jean Valjean is fantastic, but muddling through the hundreds of pages of non-plot related descriptions of the buildings and battles and whatnot to get to the heart of the story is like pulling teeth (hardee har har).

I have a confession to make...I watched the most recent Les Miserables movie this weekend and it was pretty darn fantastic.  Anne Hathaway was amazing.  I had promised myself that I wouldn't watch the movie until I finished reading the book, but this weekend I caved in and watched it, and now that I know how the story ends, I feel even less motivated to finish reading it.  Sigh.

So what's a gal to do?  Should I keep on keeping on and finish it, or throw in the towel and move on?