RickiW

The Book-Addled Brain

Hello!  Welcome to my little corner of the universe.  Join me as I make my way through my infinite reading list one page at a time.

A Clash of Kings
Les Miserables
Victor Hugo
Progress: 718/1463 pages

Ricki's quotes

"Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't."— Bill Nye

The Ghost Bride

The Ghost Bride: A Novel - Yangsze Choo

The Ghost Bride: A Novel - Yangsze Choo

"I have trespassed where no living person ought to have.  I have spoken with the dead, served in their houses, and eaten spirit offerings."

Fans of Lisa See's Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and Peony in Love will enjoy Yangsze Choo's captivating debut novel, The Ghost Bride.  Li Lan, the daughter of a bankrupt Chinese-Malaysian family, is given an usual proposal...to become the ghost bride for a wealthy family's recently deceased only son.  Li Lan is soon haunted by her ghostly suitor until in an intriguing twist, she finds herself transported into the eerie, shadowy spirit world of the Chinese afterlife, where she must navigate the Plains of the Dead and ghost cities to uncover dark family secrets with the aid of her guardian spirit, Er Lang, before she finds herself an eternal member of the spirit world.

I picked this book up from the library 'new releases' shelf on a whim, and now I'm very glad that Yangsze Choo is on my radar.  I eagerly anticipate reading more from this author.