RickiW

The Book-Addled Brain

Hello!  Welcome to my little corner of the universe.  Join me as I make my way through my infinite reading list one page at a time.

A Clash of Kings
Les Miserables
Victor Hugo
Progress: 718/1463 pages

Ricki's quotes

"Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't."— Bill Nye

Ricki Recommends...

The Ghost Bride: A Novel - Yangsze Choo The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic - Emily Croy Barker Queen's Gambit: A Novel - Elizabeth Fremantle

I've read a number of books lately that were very reminiscent of books I've read in the past, and I always enjoy when an website/app gives me suggestions based on my previous choices, so the theme of this month's Ricki Recommends feature is "If you liked...., you might like...."

If you liked Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and Peony in Love, you'll probably enjoy The Ghost Bride.  It's a nice combination of historical fiction and Chinese ghost story, and one of my favorite reads of 2013.

If you liked A Discovery of Witches, I would recommend The Thinking Woman's Guide to Magic.  It has all of the magical elements of the previous work (minus the vampires), plus the addition of dragons and fairies.  It's magically delicious.

If you liked The Other Boleyn Girl, you might like The Queen's Gambit.  If you're a fan of Tudor fiction a la Philippa Gregory, you'll want to add this fascinating tale of Henry VIII's sixth and final queen, Katherine Parr, to your reading list.

Happy reading! :)