RickiW

The Book-Addled Brain

Hello!  Welcome to my little corner of the universe.  Join me as I make my way through my infinite reading list one page at a time.

A Clash of Kings
Les Miserables
Victor Hugo
Progress: 718/1463 pages

Ricki's quotes

"Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't."— Bill Nye

30 Day Book Challenge: Day 25

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading - Nina Sankovitch

Day 25 - a character who you can relate to...

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading - Nina Sankovitch

Nina Sankovitch isn't a fictional character; she is a real person within the pages of a book who I can relate to.  Not necessarily for the fact that she decided to drop everything and read a book each day for a year (though that would be amazing!), but in the way she used books to help her grieve and heal after the loss of a loved one, her sister.  Her book touched me so much that I felt compelled to let her know how much I connected with her book.  It's the only time I've ever emailed an author, and she wrote back with such a sweet, supportive reply.  Sometimes you come across just the right book at just the right time.

Dear Nina,

I wanted to take a moment to tell you how much your book touched my soul and lifted my spirit during my darkest hour.  On Tuesday morning, I buried my father.  After a six month battle with an incurable lung disease, the time had come to let him go.  On Wednesday evening, I came across your book completely by chance.  I was at the library to pick up a book I had on reserve and had promised myself that I would only check out that single book and not browse the shelves for more.  Of course, being the book nerd that I am, I cannot resist the lure of an unread book.  As I sat at a table flipping through a stack of books, I glanced down and noticed Tolstoy and the Purple Chair on the bottom shelf.  In that moment, my only thought was that a reading book a day sounded like an interesting concept.  I had no idea just how much your book would speak to me.  I read the entire book in one sitting.  Your words mirrored my own thoughts and feelings and made me realize that I am not alone in my grief.  Tolstoy and the Purple Chair was the exact book that I needed to read in this moment of my life.  I like to think that my heart healed a little bit with each word.  "There is no void where there is memory."  I will never forget those words or the way your book made me feel.  Thank you.