RickiW

The Book-Addled Brain

Hello!  Welcome to my little corner of the universe.  Join me as I make my way through my infinite reading list one page at a time.

A Clash of Kings
Les Miserables
Victor Hugo
Progress: 718/1463 pages

Ricki's quotes

"Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't."— Bill Nye

30 Book Challenge: Day 24

The Street of a Thousand Blossoms - Gail Tsukiyama

Day 24 - a book you wish more people had read...

The Street of a Thousand Blossoms - Gail Tsukiyama

I came across this book while browsing the library shelves.  It was tucked away on the bottom, and had it not been for the red cover catching my attention, I probably would have passed it by without giving it any notice.  The Street of a Thousand Blossoms turned out to be a gem of a book and was left feeling like I had discovered buried treasure.

I'm feeling lazy this morning so I'll simply provide the summary from Goodreads...

It is Tokyo in 1939. On the Street of a Thousand Blossoms, two orphaned brothers are growing up with their loving grandparents, who inspire them to dream of a future firmly rooted in tradition. The older boy, Hiroshi, shows unusual skill at the national obsession of sumo wrestling, while Kenji is fascinated by the art of creating hard-carved masks for actors in the Noh theater.
  Across town, a renowned sumo master, Sho Tanaka, lives with his wife and their two young daughters: the delicate, daydreaming Aki and her independent sister, Haru. Life seems full of promise as Kenji begins an informal apprenticeship with the most famous mask-maker in Japan and Hiroshi receives a coveted invitation to train with Tanaka. But then Pearl Harbor changes everything. As the ripples of war spread to both families' quiet neighborhoods, all of the generations must put their dreams on hold---and then find their way in a new Japan.