RickiW

The Book-Addled Brain

Hello!  Welcome to my little corner of the universe.  Join me as I make my way through my infinite reading list one page at a time.

A Clash of Kings
Les Miserables
Victor Hugo
Progress: 718/1463 pages

Ricki's quotes

"Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't."— Bill Nye

30 Day Book Challenge: Day 19

Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 - Jim Lovell, Jeffrey Kluger

Day 19 - your favorite book turned into a movie...

Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 - Jeffrey Kluger, James Lovell

I remember watching the movie Apollo 13 on the big screen way back in 1996 and being pretty amazed by it.  I knew the movie was based on the true events of the failed Apollo 13 mission, but it wasn't until I recently discovered Lost Moon at my local library that I realized it was actually based upon a book by Jim Lovell, one of the Apollo 13 astronauts who lived to tell the tale.  Even as a sixteen year old high school student, I recognized Apollo 13 was a well-made movie, but I had no idea just how dedicated Ron Howard was to creating a technically accurate and realistic movie.  Howard went to great lengths to replicate the Apollo 13 Command and Lunar modules, the astronauts' spacesuits, and NASA's Mission Control.  The cast underwent astronaut and flight controller training from NASA technicians.  The actors actually filmed the space scenes in a reduced-gravity parabolic plane (also known as "the vomit comet") in 25 second intervals of weightlessness, the same method that NASA uses to test equipment and train astronauts for space flight. Ron Howard was determined to make the words of Lovell's book come to life on the movie screen and he did it with smashing success.