RickiW

The Book-Addled Brain

Hello!  Welcome to my little corner of the universe.  Join me as I make my way through my infinite reading list one page at a time.

A Clash of Kings
Les Miserables
Victor Hugo
Progress: 718/1463 pages

Ricki's quotes

"Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't."— Bill Nye

Battle Royale - Koushun Takami, Yuji Oniki

Battle Royale - Koushun Takami

Battle Royale kicks ass and takes names. A group of teenagers loads up on a bus thinking that they're heading out for a field trip...you're getting sleepy...very, very sleepy...BAM! You've been chosen for The Program. You will fight to the death or you will die! Don't try to escape or you will die! Don't walk into the wrong area or you will die! You will bleed your own blood or you will DIE!

The violence is gratuitious, as one would expect in a fight to the death a la "The Most Dangerous Game." The teen romance is cheesy, as is typical with a bunch of 15 year olds. At times it's a bit tricky to keep track of the names of 40 different characters, but with the exception of just a few, you really don't have the chance to get too attached to any one character before the game takes its toll. The countdown at the end of each chapter to let the reader know how many students remained in the game was a nice touch.

After reading just the first few chapters, it becomes completely obvious that the author of another very popular young adult dystopian series "borrowed" the idea for her books from Battle Royale. You would have to be a fool to believe otherwise. It's a shame, because I enjoyed the other series too. But Battle Royale did it first, and in my opinion did it slightly better.

I believe Battle Royale was written as young adult fiction, but the story is action-packed and so gripping that you will get sucked in and be absolutely glued to this book for 600+ pages.