RickiW

The Book-Addled Brain

Hello!  Welcome to my little corner of the universe.  Join me as I make my way through my infinite reading list one page at a time.

A Clash of Kings
Les Miserables
Victor Hugo
Progress: 718/1463 pages

Ricki's quotes

"Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't."— Bill Nye

SPOILER ALERT!
Year of Wonders - Geraldine Brooks

Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague - Geraldine Brooks

I've heard many good things about this book and was eager to get my hands on it. The beginning was a bit slow and I was afraid that I had picked up yet another dud, but once the plague made an appearance, I was go engrossed in Year of Wonders that I couldn't put it down. I stayed up until well past midnight to finish it, and am very glad I did. The concept was fascinating, a plague-infested village sequesters itself in the hope of not spreading the disease outside its' borders. The disease ravages the village and the death toll climbs, made especially evident by the dwindling church congregation at Sunday services. Based on the true story of the village of Eyam, Year of Wonders is a masterfully written tale filled with memorable characters that reveal the complexities of human nature in the face of disease and death. Some rise to face the challenge head-on and selflessly help others despite their fear, while others wither and crumble under the weight of panic, paranoia, superstition, and greed. I felt that the ending, specifically Anna's tryst with the rector, didn't really jive with the tone of the rest of the book, but despite that I thought that overall Year of Wonders was a fantastic tale of the plague.